Montreal developer Julie Evans has been publishing information about the Domain Name System (DNS) that is easier to understand than anything I’ve read before. If you’re interested in learning more about the topic, check out these articles:
- What happens when you update your DNS?
- How do you tell if a problem is caused by DNS?
- How to use dig
- DNS “propagation” is actually caches expiring
- Why might you run your own DNS server?
- How to find a domain’s authoritative nameservers
- Some ways DNS can break
- A toy DNS resolver
- The multiple meanings of “nameserver” and “DNS resolver”
This “series” (my term, not hers) is up-to-date as of February 15, 2022. There may be more articles to come, so subscribe to Julie Evans’ Blog.
Updated 2022-02-15 to added recent related post to series list.