Everyone in the room sighed and rolled their eyes skyward. “He’s written about this so many times. Too many times.”
I like Macs, but recently added a Windows-based netbook to my lineup of writing tools. Here is an update of the software I use all the time. I’ll be brief.
- Adium X for instant messaging
- Adobe InDesign for page layout
- Apple Mail for work email
- MoneyWell for personal finance
- NetNewsWire for managing & reading newsfeeds (but I’m looking into Reeder)
- nvALT for entering text
- OmniFocus for project management
- Scrivener for writing projects
- Sparrow for home email
- Textmate for editing text
- Twitter for Mac for Twitter (duh)
- Text Editor O’the Day (either Elements, Nebulous Notes, Notesy, or PlainText)
- Beluga for private family instant messaging
- Calvetica for my iPhone calendar
- Camera+ for photos
- Due for quick timers and reminders
- MoneyWell for iPhone
- Instacast for managing and listening to podcasts
- Instagram for social photography
- Instapaper for reading
- iPod for listening to music
- Reeder for reading newsfeeds
- Tweetbot for Twitter on iPhone and the official Twitter client for iPad
…and I mean everywhere.
- 1Password for managing logins and passwords. Priceless.
This isn’t comprehensive, but it covers the bases. I could go on–go ahead, ask anyone–but I won’t. You’re welcome.